Whether you are a long-time Christian or a seeker who values serving others, First UMC has many ways to reach out and show God’s love to others.
OutreachFirst UMC Hampton is continually looking for new ways to share God’s love with our community and invite new people to believe, love, and serve with us. Some examples from the past few years include:
• Participating in downtown Hampton festivals
• Setting up a cheer station with free bottled water and snacks for the Crawlin’ Crab Half-Marathon
• Hosting events that are open to the public, such as movie nights, Halloween Party, Live Nativity. Learn more about these ministries for All Ages, or check out our Calendar for upcoming events.
• Sending out mailings to let our neighbors know what’s happening at FUMC
Our congregation values service through a variety of local and regional mission opportunities, with a focus on meeting the physical needs of those on the margins. The Missions Committee guides our church’s efforts to offer support, and to share the love of Jesus Christ, to our community and the world. Some of the missions we support are:
- Project Crossroads: serving the needs of God’s children in southwestern Virginia through home repair, new home construction, firewood delivery, and emergency assistance. Each summer, a mission team travels to Marion, VA, to spend a week volunteering time and energy while building relationships and deepening their faith.
- Camp Rainbow Connection: Volunteers share a week with intellectually challenged adults. Campers have a buddy for the week and experience summer camp, some for the very first time.
- Hampton Roads Ecumenical Lodgings and Provisions (HELP): HELP supports people in transition to rebuild lives changed by circumstances beyond their control. During the winter months, FUMC hosts A Night’s Welcome by providing food and shelter on the coldest nights to folks who would be sleeping on the streets. Website: http://helphouse.org.
- Transitions and Menchville House: Shelters for battered women and their children in transition.
- United Methodist Committee on Relief: As the humanitarian relief and development arm of The United Methodist Church, UMCOR works with vulnerable communities to strengthen self-sufficiency and encourage partnerships to provide ministry to persons in need. UMCOR responds to U.S. and international disasters, addresses diseases of poverty, ministers to refugees and immigrants, provides clean water and actively works to reduce hunger. https://www.umcmission.org/umcor. First UMC regularly collects items to pack Health Kits, School Kits, and other supplies needed in struggling communities, in addition to sending financial support.
- A.W.E. Bassette Elementary School: A neighboring school with a high percentage of families struggling to make ends meet. FUMC has collected school supplies and supported the Family Engagement program with gift cards and other donations.
Serving within the Church:
Ministry Teams and Committees
Our church relies on the volunteer time and energy of many Ministry Teams and Committees to sustain the work of deepening discipleship and sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with others. If you are interested in getting involved, please let the pastor or a church leader know of your areas of skill, experience, or passion.
• Nursery Volunteers
• Family Ministries & Events
• Congregational Care
• Christian Spiritual Formation
• Technology and Communication
• Records and History
• Staff-Parish Relations
• Lay Leadership Nominating Committee
Our Church Council, consisting of the chairs of each committee, presidents of UWF and UMM, and elected officers, meets every other month, usually on the 3rd Wednesday.
Check out our Connect page for other ways to get involved, meet people, and grow in your faith.
Sign up for our email list
Sign up below to receive the Zoom links and instructions for either of these groups, or call the church office (757-723-6577) to learn more.