The Congregational Care Committee is “the heart of FUMC Hampton”. Committee members provide outreach and support to church members through visits, calls and cards. Annually, an angel tree provides special Christmas cheer to our shut ins. Committee members also assemble Sunshine Baskets at Easter time to share with our shut-ins.
Committee Chair: Jane Miller
The Evangelism Committee primarily focuses on expanding our outreach into the community by participating in local events, hosting events that are open to the public, and sending out targeted mailings to let our neighbors know what’s happening at FUMC.
The Missions Committee provides the very important service of guiding our church’s efforts to offer support, and to share the love of Jesus Christ, to our community and the world. Some of the missions we support are:
- Project Crossroads – serves the needs of God’s children through home repair, new home construction, firewood delivery, and emergency assistance.
- Camp Rainbow Connection – Volunteers share a week with intellectually challenged adults. Campers have a buddy for the week and experience summer camp, some for the very first time.
- Hampton Roads Ecumenical Lodgings and Provisions – HELP supports people in transition to rebuild lives changed by circumstances beyond control. During the winter months, FUMC hosts Nights Welcome by feeding and providing shelter on the coldest nights to folks who would be sleeping on the streets. Website: http://helphouse.org.
- Transitions and Menchville House – Shelters for battered women and their children in transition.
The Education Committee supports spiritual growth and a greater understanding of our relationship with Jesus Christ by providing opportunities for individuals and groups to learn and study. The committee also organizes and arranges several events each year that assist the church’s mission of reaching outward into our local community. Events include:
- Sunday School Teacher Appreciation Luncheon
- Easter Party
- Graduation Dinner (for graduating high school seniors)
- Vacation Bible School
- Halloween Party
FUMC encourages individuals led to teach Sunday School or lead in Bible studies to contact the church office for more information.
United Methodist Men
The United Methodist Men is an organized community of men who share in Christian fellowship, support, and community outreach. Mission projects supported by the United Methodist Men include Scouting, Heart Havens and Camp Rainbow. The UMM also meet once monthly, generally on the second Saturday of the month, at 8:00 am, for Bible Study and fellowship.
United Methodist Women
The United Methodist Women (UMW) is an organized community of women who desire to share Christian fellowship and support missions and ministries of the church in the local community and throughout the world. They participate in monthly unit and circle meetings; times and places of meetings vary. All women of the church are welcome and encouraged to participate.
The Family Life Committee supports our church families by assisting with and hosting various family-friendly events. Committee members provide support in coordinating events such as
- Covered dish suppers
- Bible Study
- Family Game Nights
The Worship Committee assists with weekly worship services and helps to plan special worship events.
Records and History
The Records and History Committee are the stewards of our long and rich history. They preserve important church documents and memorabilia and help to tell the story of FUMC Hampton’s 226 years in service to the Lord.
Members of the Property committee assist with the maintenance of the church.
Staff Parish Relations
Staff Parish Relations is the committee responsible for providing guidance and support of the church staff members and congregation.
The Finance Committee oversees the stewardship of the church’s funds and supports day-to-day financial operations.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees helps to guide decisions regarding the church’s day-to-day operations and stewardship of the church.